Day of Prayer
Prayer Beads as Contemplative Practice
Saturday, April 2, 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. in The Anchor House
Join us for this special day of prayer and create your own prayers beads. These will become a helpful and centering tool as you move through the season of Lent.
Cost: $15 for the workshop. $25 with lunch.
Here is what our day will look like:
- We will begin at 9:30 a.m. with a gathering time of Morning Prayer and Introduction to prayer beads as a contemplative practice. This prayer tool can be especially helpful and centering as we move into and through the season of Lent, which begins on Wednesday.
- After Morning Prayer and the Introduction, I will then give you some instructions and guidance in creating your very own set of traditional “Protestant Prayer Beads.” We will have a dedicated “workshop” space where you will be able to craft these from the materials we provide for you.
- For the rest of the morning, you will have time for solitary prayer to use the prayer beads in a variety of ways, inside and outside The Anchor House.
- At mid-day, we will have a Prayer Service using the prayer beads we have created and a liturgy that I provide for us.
- This will be followed by a lunch.
- For the rest of the afternoon, you will have extended time to pray with your prayer beads, walk and sit in silence, and even create more sets of prayer beads.
- We will conclude our Day of Prayer at 2:30 p.m. with a closing Prayer Service, using our prayer beads and a closing liturgy. We will also be given space to offer what the day has meant for us.
You will leave with at least one set of prayer beads, a little booklet of liturgies and templets you can use with your prayer beads, as well as many hours of restorative silence.